Join Now!

Join our welcoming International Design Community.

Read about the many benefits of becoming and remaining a member.

Full, Associate, Departmental and Institutional Membership available.

Complete this application form to join now.

ICED 11
Papers

What is the Problem – Sustainability beyond light globes and water buckets?

What is the Problem – Sustainability beyond light globes and water buckets?

Year: 2010

Section: SUSTAINABLE DESIGN

Editor: Boks W; Ion, W; McMahon, C and Parkinson B

Author: Clune, Stephen John

Section: SUSTAINABLE DESIGN

Pages: 334-339

Abstract

This paper presents a methodology in an attempt to address the lacuna between the scale of
unsustainability described in the literature – and the initiatives employed by designers and the general
public to reduce their ecological impact. For example, ‘if every Australian household switched to
renewable energy and stopped driving their cars tomorrow, total household emissions would decline
by only about 18%’ [1, p. 291] - How can design identify and engage in the remaining 82% of
emissions?
The methodology was developed for an ongoing industry project to reduce the ecological impact of
aged care delivery. The methodology makes connections between the objective approach of Life Cycle
Assessment (LCA) in identifying the source of greatest impact, and creative problem solving by
designers to reduce the impact within a service industry. The methodology is completed in three
phases. I: holistic streamlined LCA to identify where the source of greatest impact is, II: participatory
design ideation workshops to identify and develop potential solutions, and Finally III: sustainability
action plan, to identify immediate solutions for implementation and a longer term strategy to
significantly reduce resources and emissions. At the time of publication phase I has been completed –
This methodology addresses the conference’s themes by connecting the disciplines of engineering
(LCA) and product design. Aspects of the methodology are unique as they originated as tools for
design education, and have developed into tools for industry applications.

Keywords: Life cycle assessment, participatory design, design for sustainability, environment

Download
ds conferenceE&PDE 2010: ENGINEERING AND PRODUCT DESIGN EDUCATION 2010

E&PDE 2010: ENGINEERING AND PRODUCT DESIGN EDUCATION 2010The 12th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education will take place 2-3 September 2010, and will be organised by the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim, Norway in partnership with the Design Education Special Interest Group (DESIG) of the Design Society and the Institution of Engineering Designers (IED). The conference in 2010 will address the relationship between design education and design research. This year's conference theme, "When...

Read More

Join Now!

Join our welcoming International Design Community.

Read about the many benefits of becoming and remaining a member.

Full, Associate, Departmental and Institutional Membership available.

Complete this application form to join now.

Download
Keywords
Design Science Journal