18th Design Theory Workshop 2025
Mines ParisTech - Université PSL, France
Location: Mines ParisTech - Université PSL, France
Workshop Dates: 03 - 04 February 2025
Workshop Abstract Submission Deadline: 25 October 2024
In a week of Design Theory, this workshop will be followed by the 9th SIG Tutorial on Design Theory (05 - 07 February 2025). Follow the link for more details on this and how to participate. We highly recommend participating in both Paris events!
About the 18th SIG Design Theory Paris Workshop
We invite you to participate, submit presentations, or suggest topics for this Workshop in Paris. We welcome contributions in the areas of the Design Theory SIG:
- Design Theory and other disciplines: AI, cognition, engineering sciences, data science, biology, physics...
- The value of Design Theory for Practitioners
- Design Theory and Education
- Design Theory and perception theory: reception and critique of design, identity of objects
- Design theory and the economics of design
Organisation of the Workshop
Different types of sessions will be held during the first two days (9am-6pm):
- Substantial presentations (45-60 mins) of ongoing research in the research areas of the SIG
- Parallel workshops will be held to facilitate subgroup meetings on special topics or to discuss new research plans that could benefit from the cooperation of several SIG members and lead to new insights and co-publications
Based on the work done during the last workshops, we will have special parallel sessions to discuss special topics:
- Design theory for sustainable innovation
- Design theory and artificial intelligence
- Deepening the foundations of design theoryt
- Design theory and design methods
- Design theory and cognition
- Design Theory, arts & craft and education
To participate to the workshop, please send a short abstract of (no more than two pages) or a paper (published or unpublished).
About the 8th SIG Tutorial on Design Theory
The 8th Design Theory Tutorial's goal is to provide relevant, inspiring and actionable knowledge to researchers looking to increase their knowledge and competencies in Design Theory. It is an introduction to design theory for PhD students.
The target audience is scholars, especially PhD students, who are interested in research topics related to design theory. All tutorial professors are international researchers from leading labs working on Design Theory (Carnegie Mellon University, Tel Aviv University, Ottovon-Guericke University, ORT Braude College, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, James Madison University, Mines Paris, etc.)
- Learn some of the foundational models used in design theory and research, their relationship and the historical context within which they were proposed.
- Develop skills in applying a variety of design methods in various situations for different purposes – including for research
- Interact with and learn from specialist researchers in the field to develop and refine research questions and to build future collaborations
To participate in the tutorial days, please send us a short summary of no more than two pages on your PhD project. We will accept the participation requests based on limited available capacity. NOTE: Senior scholars are also warmly welcome – please send a short note of about two pages on your research program and the reasons for your interest in attending the tutorial.
Full details are available in the PDF file attached below for the Design Theory Workshop and Design Theory Tutorial.