Design Science Journal, Thematic Collection:
Advanced Systems Engineering in Research and Education
Submission Deadline: 31 July, 2023
Full details on submissions and the Journal can be found on the Design Science Journal website.
Digitalization, global competition, changes in work structures, and the guiding principle of sustainability are confronting organizations with new challenges. To ensure that products, software and services continue to be developed in a profitable, environmentally sustainable, and resilient manner, the way companies work and the cooperation among people, organizations, and technology must evolve significantly. The shift to autonomous, interactive, and dynamically networked products (i.e., cyber-physical systems) with increased software and service content confronts companies with major challenges. Validation of such systems is one such challenge due to changing operation contexts. Complex, interdisciplinary development processes can be mastered using structured approaches such as systems engineering. Creative development methods, agile processes, and digital tools have the potential to secure continuing value creation in the future.
Advanced Systems Engineering (ASE) creates a framework for action to integrate the above mentioned diverse system-oriented, innovative approaches in engineering design. ASE acts as a guiding principle for the successful design of innovative products, services, and product-service systems as well as their development processes. ASE stands for a new comprehensive perspective in the planning, development, and operation of tomorrow's technical systems. The guiding principle focuses on the integration of the three fields of action Advanced Systems (AS), Systems Engineering (SE) and Advanced Engineering (AE). Advanced Systems focus on the creation and performance of innovative products and services.
• Design of complex systems for productivity, sustainability and/or resilience
• Challenges and solutions for developing autonomous and AI-based systems
• Designing complex socio-technical system generations
• Designing connected products or System of Systems (SoS)
• Designing Product Service Systems
• Project Management for ASE – Advanced Systems Engineering
• Enterprise Architecture Management for ASE
• Creativity and Agility in Engineering
• Advanced Digital Twins and AI for systems design
• Cross-generational Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)
• Validation of Advanced Systems
Roman Dumitrescu, Paderborn University. firstname.lastname@example.org
Joseph Oehmen, Technical University of Denmark. email@example.com
Albert Albers, Karlsruher Institute of Technology. firstname.lastname@example.org