The Design Society Seminar Series: Dan Whitney
From Robots to Design
Tuesday 15th December 2020 at 3pm GMT/UTC
Join us for the first Design Society Seminar Series with talks taking place in 2020.
Dan will sketch the development of his ideas on design, which resulted in the following conclusions:
• Design is a culturally - defined activity carried out by groups of people, not a creative act carried out by an individual,
• There may be no such thing as modularity,
• Nearly all innovation is incremental,
• Designers spend more time identifying failure modes and resolving conflicting requirements than they do on conceptual or detail design,
• Re-use and carryover may actually increase rather than decrease risk,
• The best thinking on product development may be done by management science researchers rather than engineering design researchers.