Chair, Bachelor of Science in Design Studies
University of South Florida, College of the Arts
Location: USF Tampa Campus, Florida, USA
Role: Chair, Bachelor of Science in Design Studies
Salary Plan: Faculty
Job Opening Number: 35723
Start Date: August 2024
Closing Date: 15 March 2024
The University of South Florida is seeking an experienced and visionary tenure-track Assistant Professor and Chair to oversee the Bachelor of Science in Design Studies program at the College of the Arts. The Chair of this program will be responsible for finalizing the development and implementation of the curriculum and program components, managing the program, faculty, and staff, and ensuring the quality and accreditation of the program. This position will commence in August 2024.
The Bachelor of Science Design Studies program, will be housed in the Dean’s office as an interdisciplinary program with the goals to prepare students for careers in design thinking, design research, and/or design consulting. A sustainable, human-centered approach and framework will be utilized in developing, creating and implementing design strategies, solutions, processes, production techniques, and products.
Our program encourages creative problem-solving, critical thinking, adaptability, and collaboration, all grounded in an interdisciplinary mindset. At the core of Design Studies is an investigation into the formative role of design in shaping human values and experiences by helping to develop strategy and design digital and physical products, services, brands, and experiences for various industries.
- Program Oversight: Responsible for the overall management, growth, and development of the Bachelor of Science in Design Studies program. Ensuring that the program meets the highest academic and professional standards and that students graduate with the skills needed to succeed in various industries.
- Student Success: Establish and promote a student-centered learning environment, fostering mentorship, and providing support to students throughout their academic journey, from orientation to graduation.
- Faculty Leadership: Lead and manage a diverse faculty team, ensuring their professional development and providing guidance on pedagogy and teaching practices.
- Assessment and Continuous Improvement: Monitor, evaluate, and analyze student outcomes, faculty performance, and overall program effectiveness. Identify areas for improvement and implement strategies to enhance the quality of the program.
- Industry Engagement: Build strong connections with the design industry, including professional organizations, design firms, and practitioners, to facilitate internships, guest lectures, networking opportunities, and job placements for students.
- Promotion and Outreach: Represent the program at events, conferences, and forums, promoting the program to prospective students, industry partners, and alumni. Lead recruitment efforts to attract and enroll talented students.
- Curriculum Development: Collaborate with faculty to develop and continuously update the program curriculum in line with evolving industry needs, emerging design trends, and technological advancements to advocate a culture of excellence and innovation in design education.
- Accreditation and Compliance: Ensure that the program meets all accreditation requirements and adheres to institutional policies and government regulations.
As the creative center of the University of South Florida, the College of the Arts provides an enriched, creative, and professional environment for tomorrow's leaders in architecture, art, art history, music, theatre, dance, and design. The College's three research centers lead the way, making meaningful contributions to their field in practical ways every day, the most prominent being the university's world-renowned Graphicstudio.
USF's Contemporary Art Museum, Wilson Gallery, three professional theatres and two state-of-the-art concert halls support the production of nearly 400 events each year, including concerts, performances, exhibitions, lectures, conferences, masterclasses, and festivals -- all free of charge and open to the entire Tampa Bay community. The USF School of Art & Art History with 600 majors and more than 25 full-time faculty on two campuses (St. Petersburg & Tampa), is the design and visual arts educational hub in a diverse region of more than 3 million residents. The Graphic Arts Program is housed in Harbor Hall on the St. Petersburg campus' beautiful Bayboro Harbor and adjacent to Downtown St. Petersburg. Harbor Hall has just completed a $1million renovation featuring state-of-the-art studios, classrooms, and research spaces. The design faculty are nationally and internationally recognized for their high-impact creative research achievements.
The College is an integral engine for socioeconomic progress through research, advocacy, and engagement. The interdisciplinary ecosystem facilitates, prepares, and educates students and faculty to become creative leaders in a global society engaging and collaborating to create lasting positive impact.
- A Master’s degree in design or a related field or professional equivalent;
- Experience in teaching design at the undergraduate or graduate level;
- Evidence of leadership and administrative experience;
- A strong portfolio of design work that involves strategy and/or designing digital and physical products, services, brands, and experiences for various industries;
- Proficiency in industry-standard design software and tools;
- A passion for design education and creative research;
- Demonstrated commitment to student success and inclusive teaching practices;
- Ability to foster strong connections with the design industry and community;
- Excellent communication, presentation, and collaboration skills.
- Prior experience in curriculum development, assessment, and accreditation;
- Professional experience or contacts within the design industry;
- Experience in interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary programs or industries;
- A proven track record of academic leadership and administration;
- Two or more years of experience in teaching design at the undergraduate or graduate level.
Please provide the following documents when completing your application:
- Letter of interest in this position;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Contact information for 3 references;
- Links to professional works/portfolio;
- Links to student works.
USF Tampa - Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a Level 1 criminal background check.
How To Apply
Go to Apply for Job. When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume.
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position.
Click here for additional tutorial information.
To request an accommodation with the application or interview process, please contact Central Human Resources by telephone: 813-974-2970 or email HR-ADA-Request@usf.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.
The University of South Florida does not discriminate on the basis of sex and prohibits sexual harassment. Any person may report sex discrimination, including sexual harassment (whether or not the person reporting is the person alleged to be the victim of conduct that could constitute sex discrimination or sexual harassment), in person, by mail, by telephone, or by electronic mail, using the contact information listed for the Title IX Coordinator. Reports may be made at any time either online or directly to the University's Title IX Coordinator. USF's Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Statement.
Campus map and location overview: USF - Tampa Campus
The University of South Florida is a high-impact global research university dedicated to student success. Over the past 10 years, no other public university in the country has risen faster in U.S. News & World Report's national university rankings than USF. Serving more than 50,000 students on campuses in Tampa, St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee, USF is designated as a Preeminent State Research University by the Florida Board of Governors, placing it in the most elite category among the state's 12 public universities. USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference.
Working at USF
With more than 16,000 employees at USF, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
To learn more about working at USF please visit: Work Here. Learn Here. Grow Here.