Join our welcoming International Design Community.
Complete this application form to join now.
Full manuscript submissions due 01 September 2017
Summary of the topic and scope: Understanding and supporting the design and development process is critical to creating good designs and bringing them to market or deploying them successfully. However, design and development processes can be difficult to execute and manage. They are becoming more complex and more distributed, and increasingly transcend disciplinary boundaries such that products or systems, services, manufacturing and maintenance processes are designed together. To address this complexity there is a need for greater understanding of design and development processes, as well as for practical approaches, tools and methods to support design and its management.
This special issue aims to bring together state of the art of design and development process research that takes an empirical, theoretical, conceptual, prescriptive or pragmatic perspective on the topic, and has a genuine goal to improve design practice.
Submissions may consider design and development processes on any scale, from the activities of individuals or teams who execute, manage, or direct them, through to the macro-level processes used to develop complex products or systems. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to the following:
• Models of the design and/or development process.
• Methods and tools to support the design and/or development process.
• Engineering change with an emphasis on the (re)design process.
• Empirical work revealing new insights on the design and/or development process.
• The design of design and/or development processes.
• The coordination of design and/or development including at different levels of scale.
• The relationships between design and/or development processes and their contexts.
• The relationship between design and/or development processes and product properties.
• Perspectives on other design and development process issues, such as iteration, complexity, coordination, uncertainty, etc.
• Critical analysis of existing approaches.
Full manuscript submissions are due 01 September 2017.
For more information on the topic, scope and submission/review processes, please refer to the Call for Papers announcement published by the journal: dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00163-016-0249-9
Potential contributors are also encouraged to contact any of the guest editors:
David C. Wynn, University of Auckland, firstname.lastname@example.org
Claudia M. Eckert, The Open University, email@example.com
P. John Clarkson, University of Cambridge, firstname.lastname@example.org
DESIGN 2018 - 15th International Design Conference
DESIGN 2018 - Full paper submission deadline