Join our welcoming International Design Community.
Complete this application form to join now.
Interest: Practice, Research
The overarching objective of this SIG is to bring practitioners and researchers together through the capture, study and communication of authentic, relevant and current design challenges in their contexts, from all areas of design practice (industry, government, healthcare, start-ups etc.)
Specifically, we aim to:
• Encourage practitioners to challenge researchers
• Encourage academics to understand design practice
• Express the value of design research to practitioners
• Increase awareness to industry and other sectors of the availability and utility of design methods, principles, ‘theories’ and tools.
Our focus is to invite design challenges from practice to be shared through various mechanisms, and to capture these challenges and contexts. For example, one currently available mechanism is the case study format, with video and other exhibits.
Ola Isaksson, Chalmers University, Sweden (co-chair)
Hannu Oja, Konecranes, Finland (past chair)
Dietmar Wennemer, Aeryon, Canada
Derek Rayside, University of Waterloo, Canada
Seppo Suistoranta, Wartsila, FInland
Tero Juuti, Tampere University of Technology, Finland
Oscar Nespoli, University of Waterloo, Canada (co-chair)
Our focus is to invite design challenges from practice to be shared, captured and studied through various mechanisms, including
• Monthly web-cast events
• ICED and DESIGN workshops
The academic output and lasting knowledge that this SIG aims to provide includes:
• ICED and DESIGN conference publications
• Case studies and case histories
• DS sponsored journals such as Design Science, Journal of Engineering Design