Two Faculty Positions in Engineering Design
University of Melbourne, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Role: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Engineering Design (two positions)
Duration: Full-time, Continuing
Closing Date: 02 January 2024 (23:55 AEST)
The University of Melbourne is seeking two dynamic early-career academics with expertise in Engineering Design, or related areas such as Product Development, Design Engineering, or Systems Design/Engineering.
We are expecting to hire two emerging leaders in engineering design. One position is for an expert in data-intensive design research in engineering. This may include data-driven design, machine learning or AI in engineering design etc. The other position is broadly open for a design expert in areas such as design for sustainability, precision engineering design or engineering design research in relevant application areas such as medical devices.
You will be part of growing the Design & Engineering group and forming the design specialization track in our curriculum. You will make a significant contribution to the teaching, research and leadership and service of the Department of Mechanical Engineering You will teach in undergraduate or graduate programs and take on administrative roles commensurate with the position. You will be an aspiring leader in engineering design research, with an ambition to publish in high-quality design journals and conferences, mentor research students and secure independent grant funding to support a program of research. Active collaboration with other research groups in the School and the Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology as well as other Schools on campus is encouraged, as is interaction with industry and government agencies.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing a significant degree of scholarly research initiative and collaboration in the discipline of engineering design;
- Exercising leadership in scholarly research, in conjunction with other colleagues;
- Teaching engineering design at the undergraduate and/or graduate level, including subject development and engagement in pedagogical innovation and improvement;
- Participating in developing partnerships and a community in research and teaching across Australia and New Zealand in the area of design research;
Who We Are Looking For
The ideal candidate for this role is a dynamic academic with expertise in Engineering Design or related fields, demonstrating leadership in research, a strong publication record, and a passion for mentoring students and contributing to the academic community. You should also exhibit strong collaboration skills, a commitment to excellence in teaching, and a proactive approach to securing research grants and exploring innovative advancements in your field.
You will also have:
- PhD in Engineering Design, or equivalent
- A track record of quality design research as evidenced by research publications in leading design journals and conferences commensurate with opportunity
- Demonstrated ability to perform independent design research and a clear exciting, novel, ambitions, yet feasible, vision for future research directions in design
- Experience with undertaking collaborative research projects as part of a team across institutions and/or disciplines especially in the area of design
- Experience in teaching design subjects in undergraduate or graduate level
- International reputation, evidenced through high-impact peer-reviewed and refereed design journals, and invitations to speak at national and international design meetings and/or leadership of nationally or internationally significant research projects
About the University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is #1 in Australia and #34 in the world. Melbourne is a fantastic safe, vibrant, sunny place to live and work at, and the university has several support programs for young scholars to help you succeed.
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn.
How to Apply
The application deadline is 02 January 2024. If you cannot make it, let us know so we can accommodate it. All questions to Katja.HolttaOtto@unimelb.edu.au.
Details and how to apply here: jobs.unimelb.edu.au
Please note: Visa sponsorship is available for this position.