Doctoral position available on the subject of "designing dynamic systems with digital twins"
Technical University of Munich
Location: Munich-Garching, Germany
Closing Date: 10 June 2023
Start Date: 01 September 2023
Application Requirements: Fluent German language skills or a convincingly demonstrated willingness to acquire them
Design of dynamic systems with digital twin
The chair for product development and lightweight construction deals with developing and optimising complex technical systems. Based on technical problems, we develop methods, tools and solutions, optimized in terms of functionality, weight and cost. We are currently looking for scientific employees (m/f/d) for research and teaching in the field of numerical optimization and simulation-based design of new products. The planned start is September 2023.
Manually controlled soil compaction devices, so-called tampers, are used in construction practice to compact the soil in tight work spaces by means of alternating stress. Since the stiffness of the soil is dependent on stress and density, the soil reaction and thus the hand-arm vibrations experienced by the rammer operator change during the compaction process. The complex soil-tamper interaction (BSI) determines the efficiency of compaction and the user loads. In the SOLID project, a new generation of smart, electrically operated rammers will be developed in cooperation with a renowned construction machinery manufacturer and the Chair of Foundation Engineering, Soil Mechanics, Rock Mechanics and Tunneling at the TUM Operator. A digital twin of an electrically operated rammer is being developed to achieve this goal, considering the earth-building material to be compacted and the BSI. The mechanical machine components and the operating strategy are optimally designed based on numerical simulations of the system's behaviour with the DZ. A new design methodology is being developed, which will then be used to develop smart assistance functions to increase energy efficiency and reduce emissions from other similar systems.
- Processing of the chair project SOLID and possibly other projects
- Further development of processes for the design of smart products with digital twins
- Support for the operation of the chair, courses, supervision of students
Requirements (please explain suitability in the cover letter)
- Master's degree in mechanical engineering, automotive engineering, aerospace engineering or similar
- Good and broad basic knowledge of technical mechanics
- Experience with numerical modelling (e.g. FEM) and optimization
- Passion for problem-solving
- Fluent German language skills or a convincingly demonstrated willingness to acquire them
- Diverse innovation topics, interdisciplinary team, the opportunity for a doctorate, stay abroad.
- Full position as a research assistant with classification according to the collective agreement of the federal states (TV-L)
Please apply in German by 10 June 2023 (reference SOLID) by email: email@example.com
Please send only one bundled pdf file as an email attachment, and check our website for possible extensions of deadlines.
Data protection notice: You are submitting personal information with your application to the Technical University of Munich (TUM). In this regard, please note the data protection information in accordance with Art. 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the collection and processing of personal data as part of your application (http://go.tum.de/554159). By submitting your application, you confirm that you have taken note of the TUM's data protection information mentioned above.