Lecturer in Engineering Design
Visit for more information.
The School of Engineering at Rice University seeks applications for a non-tenure track faculty appointment with a full-time focus on undergraduate education at the Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen (OEDK). The OEDK provides undergraduate engineering students with ready access to design tools, prototyping equipment, computational facilities, meeting rooms and ample space for prototype design and development. In addition, the OEDK is also a hub of activity and a social center for undergraduate engineering student creativity and experimentation through its programs and resources.
The position will involve teaching multiple sections and/or courses to undergraduate students each semester. Specific duties are expected to include some combination of:
Teaching or co-teaching hands-on core and elective undergraduate engineering design courses to support the Engineering Design Minor. Teaching topics may include:
• Prototyping tools and strategies
• Practical electronics
• Project management and communication
• Computer-aided design
• Support student engineering design teams through activities such as:
• Develop and run authentic design projects from industrial sponsors and faculty
• Mentor and advise student teams on design, fabrication, and testing of product prototypes
• Participate in course assessment activities
A PhD degree in engineering or a related field is required. Individuals with practical electronics and/or industry experience (e.g., design and manufacturing, project management, regulatory requirements, engineering and/or commercial development) as well as recent PhD graduates are encouraged to apply. Competitive applications will also have strong interpersonal and communication skills and a passion for teaching. Position title and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
To apply for the position, the candidate needs to submit the following:
• C.V., including relevant teaching experiences
• Teaching philosophy statement (1-2 pg)
• Statement of long-term plans
• Outline and syllabus of a proposed engineering design related course
• Three letters of recommendation that can speak to teaching aptitude and interest
Screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The position will start no later than July 1, 2021. An earlier start date may be possible.